29 August 2010

Dolphins of Greece volunteers, 22-29 August 2010


Wake up, work, get home, dinner, gym, sleep.
Wake up, work, get home, dinner, gym, sleep.

Wake up, work, get home, dinner, can’t be bothered going to the gym, sleep.

Etc etc etc.


And so the days continue, bored and totally lost of focus, excitement, dedication and purpose. In a city like London, it is so easy to get lost in the crowd, be just a nameless face. Pessimism and negativity towards humanity and their effects on the planet had set in, however truthfully, I was not doing much to help either. What I take with me, apart from all the amazing experiences mentioned above through out the years, is a sense of purpose and hope. I have seen first hand that the world could just stand a chance, because there ARE people that care out there. I had forgotten to believe this. And to meet two of these people, Joan and Andjin makes it a real and inescapable fact. How inspiring! I sincerely thank you for this. Keep up the amazing work.


Wake up, teach my class and spread the word, get home, dinner, gym, sleep.

Wake up, continue to spread the word, get home, dinner, gym, sleep.

Wake up, watch the kids spread the word, get home, dinner, still can’t be bothered going to the gym, sleep.
Etc etc etc.

Alessia (UK/Australia)

---

As I sit here, Sunday morning, the morning of our departure, I try and write. I sit here drawing a blank; a quite literal lack of words. For everyone that knows me or has met me can appreciate that my silence is as rare and, more importantly, peaceful as a blue moon. The town, the people, the animals, the adventures, and the new family I have made over the past week have imprinted upon me something that I cannot express in the little time I allowed myself to process this most life changing of experiences. Hopefully, when I look back at my life in the coming few years, the gravity of my time here can be quantifiable. However, until then, my reticence will have to make due.

Cheers to the Dolphins of Greece and all of the people who live and work to preserve them. You passion is unrivalled.


Sam (USA)

No comments: