21 May 2010

Great start for Team 4


Today we welcomed our fourth team of volunteers of the season. After a brief introductory session to our research protocols, methods and safety procedures, I left Mary, Marcia, Nancy and Iva (our research-assistant) in the volunteer’s loft, getting familiar with the hand-held computer we use onboard to collect data on dolphin behaviour. I went out to the balcony to check on Poseidon (our dog) and think about the different ways of improving my P.I. skills - i.e. I was actually having a cigarette ;-), when a large flock of seagulls called my attention. After a few seconds of observation I spotted a group of 3-4 dolphins surface-feeding right below the frenzy of seabirds, half a mile away from Vonitsa’s seafront. I rung the alarm and we all flew off to the small pier right in front of our field base to observe our first sighting together. We stayed there until they stopped feeding, progressively moving out from sight. We could not ask for a better start or for a better welcome for our new group of Earthwatchers!

joAn

No comments: