09 October 2009

Dolphins of Greece volunteers 1-9 October 2009


I loved this experience! Joan and Zsuzsanna were awesome. They were patient and increased my understanding of dolphins and the impact of overfishing. At the end of the project I had a much better understanding of how field research in marine biology is done. I now feel I can make better consumer choices on which fish to buy that are not a burden on the environment. I can also educate my friends and family on what I learned at the Dolphins of Greece expedition about overfishing, so they too can make wiser consumer choices. Overall this trip was very informative but most of all a lot of fun. I had a great time with the other volunteers on the boat, cooking, cropping and matching dolphin photos. I leave with great memories!

Maribeth, USA

---

Images of Vonitsa

Bright sun,
calm, glassy seas,

a juvenile leaps!
Then, rides the bow... Wow!


Learn to shout out
“dolphin out at 2 o’clock at 50 meters”
when all you can blurt,

“my god, that’s a dolphin...right there”


The castle lit at night,

laughter at the table,

constant teasing,

a lucky dog named Poseidon.

Mary Beth, my friend
,
Irina, a new friend.
Susanna, so pretty,
so sweet,
but, what a taskmaster!
Joan, a flirt with his wink,
passionate, stern and authoritative
(well, he tries).

Suzanne, USA

---

This is my third attempt to write in this diary... now I know why I never owned one! A Greek saying comes to mind “Ta polla logia ine ftohia...” meaning that saying to much defeats the purpose... or something like that! So... from the bottom of my heart I want to thank all of you, Joan, Susie, Suzanne, Maribeth and of course Posi and the dolphins for making this week one that i will cherish for the rest of my life! Learned a lot, laughed a lot, looked a lot, bounced a lot, guessed a lot (+/-100 meters!) and of course ate A LOT! Loved it all! Thank you guys.

Irina, Greece

No comments: